SubjectRe: Fake SCSI devices
Ricky Beam wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Helge Hafting wrote:
> >If you want both to mount the same partition for writing (or one writing
> >and another simultaneous read-only) please write a new filesystem where
> >each machine
> >ask all the others for permission (and invalidate their cached blocks)
> >before each write.

You probably wouldn't want to do this over the SCSI bus, but you could
use a shared Ethernet or other broadcast network to good effect. The cache
flush messages would have to be transactional, but it wouldn't be all that
hard, and might make a neat honors project.

> Ever head of AFS? this is very close to what it's cache manager does.
> (Although, writes are feed back to the server immediately and then it
> informs all the referencing caches the data changed. It's bloody mess
> on a slow (read: dialup) connection.)

As compared to what? I'm afraid I must dispute your claim...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.045 / U:2.572 seconds]