SubjectRe: VM modules in kernel?
On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 06:29:55PM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
> >> The 'hypervisor' is a new term to me.. Are you refering to the
> >> Transmeta CPU and it's native mode? If I read you correctly
> >No its what the S/390 VM is often called. Its a supervisor for
> >supervisor mode programs so illogically enough its a hypervisor 8). The
> >IBM mainframe guys thing this kind of set up is routine. Unix is met
> >with 'You mean you cant run a new kernel on test at the same time as the
> >old one' type remarks.
> Hmm.. Sounds like interesting hardware indeed.

It is. There was a link on Slashdot a couple weeks ago about a guy who
installed the S/390 port on his companys production mainframe under the VM
Operating system. The VM does not just emulate a subset of itself like the
ix86 chips can - it can do the _entire_ hardware instruction set.

Look at http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1532/1/ and read how
someone managed 41,000 simultaneous Linux copies running on one mainframe,
presenting themselves as completely seperated machines to the outside
network.

Of course, it has its price :)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.070 / U:0.680 seconds]