    SubjectRe: Kernel patch: keyboard.

    > > > Well, this patch is about these three new keys that some new
    > > > keyboards have: suspend, resume and poweroff. These keys don't work
    > > > on Linux by default, and I have decoded their scancodes and included
    > > > them in the kernel keyboard conversion tables.
    > >
    > > Very good!
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, these days there are many new keyboards, with dozens
    > > of new keys, so it is impossible to assign each key its own keycode
    > > (since for the time being keycodes are restricted to the range
    > > 1-127).
    > Andreas, these are special. If you go and buy new keyboard, it will
    > have those nasty keys. It is not like those "multimedia" keys which
    > differ from keyboard to keyboard -- this is more like L-window,
    > R-window and Menu "windows95" keys.
    > I know. It is a Microsoft standard. See
    > [Still, the Microsoft Internet keyboards one can buy here today
    > do not yet have these keys.]
    > The patch is harmless, and vaguely useful, and superfluous:
    > if the purpose of the kernel patch is to attach uses via loadkeys,
    > then without the patch one needs setkeycodes followed by loadkeys.

    That patch allows to use new keys for new in-kernel use (such as going
    suspend using apm when one of those is present). We also might want to
    assign standart sequences for these keys in

    I'm "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
    Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents me at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.022 / U:15.248 seconds]