    SubjectRe: Slow pthread_create() under high load

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > If you want to see this changes get the kernel changes in place.
    > > There are various patches floating around which combined will allow a
    > > correct and fast implementation. But they were not added.
    > The problem he is seeing however appears unrelated to the fact posix
    > threads is a braindamaged pile of crap. Its because the scheduler penalises
    > across forks as part of its fairness approach. Ingo showed that was in
    > fact wrong and posted some algorithm changes for 2.3.9x

    Alan, if POSIX threads are a "braindamaged pile of crap" (not arguing
    but I do use threads quite heavily) what would you rather us use as
    threads in Linux? Or are you not happy with any current implementation?
    The described technique does seem rather hackish. I'm interested in
    finding out a better way of doing something akin to threads. Is this
    planned in a future kernel?

    Nicholas Vinen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:3.340 seconds]