SubjectRe: Avoiding OOM on overcommit...?
Richard Gooch wrote:
> Because it's different (read harder)? I still haven't seen a
> description of how we handle stack exhaustion properly. All we can do
> there is kill the offending process.

---
Naw....we have lots of options. The first and best 1) A gram of
prevention is worth a kilogram of cure. If the developer or user knows that
a given program uses alot of stack space, then an option in 'ld' to specify
size of stack to commit, or 2) User says "runprog -stacksize=1M <programname>"
or some such option -- and 1M of stack space is committed/reserved before
when loading the program. 3) We use a signal -- I sorta like overuse of
SIGSTKFLT, but there may be reasons not to use it. If in default, program
dies as from a SEGV, and 4) if ignored, program is put to sleep waiting on
free pages.

Ok, maybe that wasn't lots, but it was at least 4! :-)

Not to sound repetitious, but why is lack of memory (a resource as
David puts it) so different from #processes, #open files/system /process,
out of diskspace on a write call, unable to acquire a 'lock' resource...

Those just return error's or 'sleep'. Why should we come up with
a new paradigm for memory?

-l

Linda A Walsh | Trust Technology, Core Linux, SGI
law@sgi.com | Voice: (650) 933-5338