    Date writes:

    > My guess is that clone() should return very fast to the original thread, but
    > might take a while to return to the newly created thread, which is what is
    > causing the problem.

    The kernel does not allow using clone() directly because some
    additional functionality required to implement the correct POSIX
    threads behaviour is missing. Do you think we make these things slow
    on purpose?

    If you want to see this changes get the kernel changes in place.
    There are various patches floating around which combined will allow a
    correct and fast implementation. But they were not added.