SubjectVM modules in kernel?
An idea just occured to me about running virtual machine software
under Linux. The vm86plus code or whatever it is currently
called is great for DOSemu, and I presume WINE and other projects
as well. Those projects do not modify kernel source so I assume
the kernel has everything they need to run properly.

I just read of the LGPL'ing of the Bochs source code, and it got
me thinking...

VMware adds open source modules to the kernel which are of course
not supported by you folk, but are necessary for VMware to
run. It would stand to reason also that for the Plex86 (formerly
FreeMware) project to clone VMware in full, most likely they
would need to use some sort of in-kernel stuff too, however since
it is GPL there are likely less issues with linking, etc.. than
with VMware.

Is it possible that the Plex86 folk could get any needed kernel
code into the standard kernel to perform the necessary things to
implement their software without addon kernel patches like VMware
uses? VMware could also theoretically benefit from such a thing
being included in the kernel.

I was thinking that faster VM speeds may be possible if the
kernel can be tweaked more freely due to the GPL nature of the
Plex86/bochs projects now.

Anyways, I'm just tossing some ideas around. I'd love to be able
to replace VMware with Plex86 ASAP. Recompiling separate VMware
modules is a PITA every new kernel build.. ;o)

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate

I've overclocked my keyboard interface. It's quite messy dipping my
hands into the mineral oil, but *MAN* is my keyboard ever fast now!
- Anonymous Coward

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.072 / U:2.580 seconds]