        From Fri Mar 24 09:58:16 2000

    > > Well, this patch is about these three new keys that some new
    > > keyboards have: suspend, resume and poweroff. These keys don't work
    > > on Linux by default, and I have decoded their scancodes and included
    > > them in the kernel keyboard conversion tables.
    > Very good!
    > Unfortunately, these days there are many new keyboards, with dozens
    > of new keys, so it is impossible to assign each key its own keycode
    > (since for the time being keycodes are restricted to the range
    > 1-127).

    Andreas, these are special. If you go and buy new keyboard, it will
    have those nasty keys. It is not like those "multimedia" keys which
    differ from keyboard to keyboard -- this is more like L-window,
    R-window and Menu "windows95" keys.

    I know. It is a Microsoft standard. See
    [Still, the Microsoft Internet keyboards one can buy here today
    do not yet have these keys.]

    The patch is harmless, and vaguely useful, and superfluous:
    if the purpose of the kernel patch is to attach uses via loadkeys,
    then without the patch one needs setkeycodes followed by loadkeys.

    (And for many keyboards setkeycodes would remain necessary
    because these three are not the only new keys.)

    [I just added a ref to setkeycodes(8) in showkey(1).]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.018 / U:168.744 seconds]