SubjectRe: Patch: BadRAM put to use

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Rick van Rein writes:
<snip>
> > I can use 61 MB out of 64 MB, which is a great result, and good for
> > trees. My main concern regarding trees is not reuse of RAM that
> > suffered from static electricity, but to be able to use RAM in spite
> > of manufacturing errors; a very large portion of RAMs (95% of the
> > production?) must now be discarded of due to such errors. Trees
> > don't like that. Neither do I.
>
> What does wasted RAM have to do with trees?!? Beaches, yes. But
> trees?!?

If you accept the (somewhat goofy) use of "trees" to mean "the environment
in general," it makes sense. I recently read a book on microchip
manufacture and visited the Intel plant near Albuquerque. In short, chip
manufacture is "resource-intensive." I recommend learning the basics of
microchip manufacture to any curious computer person.

-VAL

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:1.300 / U:0.416 seconds]