    SubjectEndless overcommit memory thread.
    I've been reading bits and pieces of this whole thread for a
    while now, and have finally come up with an opinion. I think
    that overcommit should be an option which defaults to
    off. Here's why:

    If something allocates memory and then later goes to use it and
    dies, that is just plain wrong. If malloc says the memory is
    avail, and allocates it, then it should be there.

    Define "allocate". I define it with respect to memory allocation
    as an app beign allocated or GIVEN a requested amount of memory
    to use, and guaranteed that that memory exists and is available
    for usage.

    The reason for overcommit in the first place, and correct me if
    I'm wrong here - is because some applications allocate more
    memory than they really end up using.

    If an application allocates a large amount of memory and then
    does not use it, is the app not broken as designed? I say FIX
    THE APPLICATION!

    Can someone please explain to me how and why an app would
    allocate a large amount of memory and then not use it? Please
    give specific examples since I can't fathom the reason. I think
    an app that requests a lot of memory and then doesn't use it is
    BAD - broken as designed. I can see legitimate allocation of
    SMALL amounts of unused memory as speculation in time critical
    code, or for optimization, etc.. but not large amounts.

    Please correct me if I'm wrong. Either way it should be tuneable
    and disableable.

    I felt that since I had to download 20Mb of this thread this
    week that I'd throw in my $0.02 as well. ;o)

    TTYL

    --
    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate

    I've overclocked my keyboard interface. It's quite messy dipping my
    hands into the mineral oil, but *MAN* is my keyboard ever fast now!
    - Anonymous Coward

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.025 / U:0.344 seconds]