SubjectRe: "Super" IP aliases?
On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 07:40:18PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <cistron.20000321225827.A25812@sonic.net>,
> Scott Doty <scott@sonic.net> wrote:

> a) is true if 'some' means 0.000001%. I maintain thousands of virtual
> hosts with millions of hits per day and I cannot remember when I
> last saw in the logfiles that someone was using a browser that
> didn't send the Host: header.

[Cc'd to linux-net - suggest any follow-ups go there?]

Our servers get a lot of hits from academic sites and I think I've seen one
or two over the last 12 months. You're right, it's probably not significant
for companies. For institutions like say, government departments, I'd expect
them to make the effort, however.

> Besides, a browser like that won't be able to view todays HTML anyway.

Eww! Is writing HTML that gracefully degrades so difficult? If your HTML
can't viewed on a 5 year old browser, what's going to happen when it's viewed
with, say, a screen reader?

> Think again - you're wasting precious IP space .. RIPE (the European
> equivalent of ARIN) will not even honour requests for IP allocations
> for web servers anymore in most cases.

I will concede that this is a good reason, though. For my next question, when
is anyone going to address *DNS* namespace depletion? <g>

[rant over]

--
Don't believe the hype, merely painting a box blue (or rather 'teal') does
not magically make it 'just work'.