    SubjectRe: Overcommittable memory (Was: Some questions about linux kernel.)
    On 21 Mar 2000, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:

    > Den 20-Mar-00 13:12:16 skrev James Sutherland følgende om "Re: Some questions about linux kernel.":
    > > On Sun, 19 Mar 2000 15:50:07 -0600, you wrote:
    >
    > > malloc() just allocates address SPACE. TOUCHING the memory then
    > > populates that space, which is how I can use malloc() for a nice,
    > > simple sparse matrix implementation. (On Win32, you have to mess
    > > around trapping exceptions in userland and allocating the memory
    > > yourself...)
    >
    > Note that malloc() is documented as allocating memory, regardless of
    > whether you actually touch it or not. Any programmer relies on that.

    malloc() is not a system call. It's not a kernel issue. If it does not
    work as you expect, it's a (documentation) bug.

    It uses brk(), which is a system call. bck() is well documented, and does
    exactly what expected to do. It extends a process address space. No more,
    no less.

    > >>We are talking about the sum of all concurrent requests, and the system
    > >>aborting when part of the requests already granted turns out to not be
    > >>granted.
    >
    > > No. The malloc() call requested address space, and that succeeded -
    > > the address space was available.
    >
    > > What is NOT available, however, is memory to populate that area fully.
    > > So what?
    >
    > So you have a broken malloc().

    "you"? this is not the libc mailing list. And BTW, *my* malloc works
    exaclty as *I* expect. And it's the standard glibc one.

    [...]

    .TM.
    --
    / / / Marco Colombo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.050 / U:32.516 seconds]