    SubjectRe: Overcommitable memory??
    Date
    On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:39:26 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
    >James Sutherland wrote:
    >> On 20 Mar 2000 15:19:23 -0800, you wrote:

    >> > No, it wouldn't -- that code come pre-broken for your sysadminning
    >> > dispair.
    >>
    >> You are free to rewrite it all to fit your own replacement API if you
    >> like - that's the bit I'd try to avoid, though.
    >
    > Umm, do you have any experience at all with computer programming?
    Yes.

    > I'm asking this because your arguments increasingly sound like
    > you've been living in a cave on the dark side of the moon for
    > the past 40 years, and now you're trying to get a handle on this
    > computer thing by reading back issues of WiReD and PC Computing.
    Far from it. I get the impression that the opponents of
    demand-allocated memory have been living on a BBC Micro for their
    entire careers, and would like to have the same system under Unix...

    > david parsons \bi/ shudder.
    There are some circumstances where you DO want/need direct control
    over memory allocation, stack size etc. Embedded apps, for example, as
    discussed elsewhere in l-k. Desktop/server apps, OTOH, are not in this
    category normally. An EXTENSION to the API to ALLOW this for apps
    would be useful - changing the existing API to do this would be silly.

    James.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:4.086 / U:0.132 seconds]