SubjectCall for network driver testing
As 2.4.0 time nears, I thought it would be a good idea to get a list of
problems that need addressing in the net driver area. To that end, I
have put up a Web page for bug reports, and issue the call for anyone
with a network card to put the latest 2.3 kernel to the test.

http://gkernel.sourceforge.net/net-driver-bug.html

The Web page should describe all you need to know to begin testing. Bug
reporting and management is done through SourceForge's system. Please
report bugs here (if possible) instead of e-mail. If nothing else that
makes sure bugs are not forgotten, and makes sure I don't personally
drown in e-mail[1].

Here are some testing tips, pasted from the web page:

Basic ethernet networking: ping, telnet, ssh, ftp, NFS, etc.

High-load networking: ping flood, Quake, high-load NFS usage,
multiple FTP transfers, ping with various nonstandard packet sizes,
ApacheBench (/usr/bin/ab typically), any application which supports
multi-casting (xntpd is the only one I know about)

Media sense -- if you have multiple ports, such as AUI, BNC, and
10baseT, is the correct media type automatically selected?

NWay autonegotiation -- if your hardware supports it, does the
driver correctly negotiate the media options? If no, does "forcing" a
single media type get the driver to work?

One word of caution -- BUG REPORTS WITHOUT KERNEL/DRIVER VERSION INFO
WILL BE DELETED. Sorry... these types of reports just take too much
time to handle.

Thanks to all, and viva la open source!

Jeff

[1] no more than I am drowning in e-mail now, anyway

--
Jeff Garzik | Tact is the ability to tell a man
Building 1024 | he has an open mind when he has a