SubjectRe: NFS client won't set GID on file create
--- Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no>
wrote:
> writes:
>
> > Looking at the NFS client code, I see the
> uid/gid getting set
> > to -1 before being sent to the server.
> Glancing over the
>
> As you may have guessed, -1 here means 'no value
> supplied'.

Yes, so I surmised.

>Setting
> the uid/gid here is a bug on many NFS servers (they
> refuse to create
> the file), hence we leave it to the server to
> choose.

No offense intended, but isn't this a little lame? We
cripple the NFS client because some servers are
broken? Why not make a mount option for nfs that
specifies "use normal Linux (i.e. bsd) semantics" vs
"use server semantics (whatever they are".

> The fsuid/fsgid will be passed to the server via the
> RPC credential
> scheme, and most (but not all) servers choose to use
> this for the file
> creation.

You lost me here.

> Note: In my NFSv3 client patches, it's possible to
> define
> NFSD_BROKEN_UID in fs/nfs/dir.c, to cause the
> attributes to be set
> explicitly in the CREATE call. Because of the
> afore-mentioned problems
> with some servers it is not enabled by default.

I didn't see any code like that in the two (admittedly
old) kernels I looked in. Are these patches private
to you or are they included in a later kernel?

The reason I ask is that my preference (albeit only
marginally informed) is for this to be a per-mount
option, not a global one. That way broken servers can
be dealt with without crippling ALL NFS mounts on a
given client. If no one else is handling this, I
could take a whack at it (as a first kernel
project--I'm getting all tingly!)