    SubjectRe: Overcommitable memory??
    Jesse Pollard <> said:

    > THAT DEPENDS ON POLICY - as defined by management. That "very big and newly
    > started" may NOT be the most suitable. If resource quotas are in place, then
    > the process would not have been started at all. If quotas are adjusted
    > to make resources available then again there is no need to abort any
    > process.

    Except those of users that just so happen are going over their allocated
    quota. Which go to management complaining that not even at night, when the
    system is otherwise idle, they can run their large jobs.

    > I'm already working in one area where OOM is considered catastrophic -
    > High security and high availablity systems must NOT have the system go
    > OOM. That is what per user resource quotas help to prevent.

    That is a very narrow, specialized application area. I'd assume you have
    the resources then to hire somebody to "fix" the kernel for you, and then
    publisghing the resulting patches for all to consider/include/use.
    Dr. Horst H. von Brand

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.021 / U:8.832 seconds]