    SubjectRe: [OT] Microsoft invents symbolic links
    "Stuart MacDonald" <stuartm@connecttech.com> writes:
    > From: "Mark Hahn" <hahn@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca>
    > > it's just a content-addressable filestore. nothing new, and definitely
    > > unrelated to symlinks. the point is to uniquify files, almost certainly
    >
    > Anyone want to impart clue? I'm under the impression that symlinks
    > and shortcuts are the same thing; hardlinks and shortcuts are
    > different.
    >
    > ..Stu

    AFAIK, shortcuts are symlinks with funny semantics, (eg. start in
    directory foo option) that only the Windows GUI seems to understand.
    Ie. nothing like them at all.

    The technique described in the paper looks like an automatic method of
    collecting files from around the network and storing them at a central
    server. The files on local computers would have to be replaced with
    something more like true symlinks.

    What happens if your only "Single Instance Server" goes down, is not
    explained in the article.

    cheers,
    James

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.020 / U:1.608 seconds]