SubjectRe: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??
On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Olaf Titz wrote:
> The client might work fine, but what about the server side? Dynamic
> addressing in an environment where Un*x is involved heavily depends on
> the DNS getting it right. This means the DNS server has to integrate
> in some way with the DHCP server so that they give out the same
> adresses for one name every time, or all hell breaks loose.

We thought we had solved this by having our internal DNS 'ask'
the DHCP servers what their dynamic addresses were. Unfortunately
M$ idea about port 53 is entirely different than the rest of the
world. The returned information is garbage and not compatible with
even the latest named/bind.

I had to set up a separate 'net', using a M$ DNS (two of them). That
way, at least my DNS would slave the defective information so the
M$ machines could use it even though Unix machines could not.

zone "" in {
type slave;
masters {;;
allow-query { any; };
allow-transfer { any; };

You can see the problem if you just do:

# nslookup
lserver m$.garbage.server
set type = ANY

Well.... at least M$ communicates on port 53. I guess that proves
it's ready to ship.

Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).