SubjectRe: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??
> > If you do anything else than Windows-based pure client apps you
> > very quickly need static addresses.
>
> Why? I really don't see any goog arguement for this whatsoever.

Because another machine might access your machine actively in some
way. This depends on knowing what your machine is.

The Windows network solves this problem by running a purely dynamic
naming service, so it might get along better if no other services are
involved. This works by everything self-registering, while Un*x
relies on an external naming service.

> pre-installed with Windows 2000. I turned them on, enter a few silly
> questions (machine name, password, etc.), inserted the PCMCIA
> network/modem card and once it had installed the driver plugged it in
> to the network -- at which point it did the DHCP request and
> everything pretty much worked as expected.

The client might work fine, but what about the server side? Dynamic
addressing in an environment where Un*x is involved heavily depends on
the DNS getting it right. This means the DNS server has to integrate
in some way with the DHCP server so that they give out the same
adresses for one name every time, or all hell breaks loose.

Olaf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.072 / U:0.108 seconds]