    SubjectRe: Argument list too long: out of environment space
    Stuart Inglis wrote:
    > /*
    > * MAX_ARG_PAGES defines the number of pages allocated for arguments
    > * and envelope for the new program. 32 should suffice, this gives
    > * a maximum env+arg of 128kB w/4KB pages!
    > */
    > #define MAX_ARG_PAGES 32
    > This seems to be the cause of our problem. When the total size of the
    > command line is over 128kB we start encountering this problem.
    > Can this value be safely increased? Does it need to be constant at all?

    Yes it can be increased. I had a project with 1MB command lines, so we
    increased MAX_ARG_PAGES and everything was fine. Until our command
    lines grew too long again... :-)

    We looked for a way to use smaller command lines. Not xargs -- that
    didn't do the right thing. We could change our commands to read the
    list of files, but we didn't find a way to convince Make to write the
    **ing list of files to a file. "echo $(FILES) > listfile" doesn't work
    for the obvious reason.

    I was really tempted to add a $(echo $(FILES)) function to GNU Make to
    get around this.

    But the quicker solution at the time was to increase MAX_ARG_PAGES and
    it was fine.

    Feel free to remove the limit altogether and make it dynamic. Something
    involving an extra struct mm which you are filling up ptrace-style might
    be appropriate. It must be pageable if it can be arbitrarily large.

    have a nice day,
    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.028 / U:15.324 seconds]