    SubjectRe: [bugfix] SMP, shm-2.3.52-A0

    On 18-Mar-00 Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > we want to keep 'permanent debugging code' out of the main kernel, as much
    > as possible. There is no problem in having separate debugging patches
    > (such as IKD, which is a much more capable debugging tool than plain
    > asserts). Permanent debugging code pollutes the kernel over time and
    > degrades readability and maintainability.

    Properly used, asserts are not debugging code so much as executable design
    constraints. They are really useful as in-line documentation. assert(arg !=
    NULL) is much more powerful than a /* arg cannot be NULL */ comment. The issue
    of whether the assert actually generates code is secondary; the code *should*
    run the same either way.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.023 / U:0.444 seconds]