SubjectRe: [bugfix] SMP, shm-2.3.52-A0

On 18-Mar-00 Ingo Molnar wrote:
> we want to keep 'permanent debugging code' out of the main kernel, as much
> as possible. There is no problem in having separate debugging patches
> (such as IKD, which is a much more capable debugging tool than plain
> asserts). Permanent debugging code pollutes the kernel over time and
> degrades readability and maintainability.

Properly used, asserts are not debugging code so much as executable design
constraints. They are really useful as in-line documentation. assert(arg !=
NULL) is much more powerful than a /* arg cannot be NULL */ comment. The issue
of whether the assert actually generates code is secondary; the code *should*
run the same either way.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans