SubjectRe: Ext2fs OOPS: 2. (Help!)
> usage -- but System CPU time, not User CPU time! I talked with the UW
> IMAP4.5 author and he explained that this was because ext2fs chokes pretty
> badly on very large directories due to its linear search algorithm.

Most file systems do. People who implement maildir properly use subdirectories
for good reasons.

> Note the Call Trace. I tried running ksymoops on it, but the output did not
> look very useful. I will repost it here, anyhow, just in case it is useful
> to you all:

It looks like memory corruption - possibly from a kernel race or vfs
double free of some sort.

> So basically, ext2fs is dying hard on my honking big Maildir and I'm
> frustrated, because I had specifically converted to Mailbox for increased
> speed and efficiency over the mbox method of things (which created an

Maildir is great, but use a non screwball implementation that divides
into subdirectories.

> When are is Linux going to move to a modern, high-speed journalling
> filesystem?

Well actually you can download and try Reiserfs for 2.2 right now, and it
is supposed to handle your huge directories and the latest one has
journals. You can also add the ext3 patches and get journalling without
a disk reformat but it wont solve your big directory problem.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.059 / U:0.244 seconds]