    SubjectRe: Overcommitable memory??
    Den 16-Mar-00 20:18:09 skrev David Whysong følgende om "Re: Overcommitable memory??":
    > On 15 Mar 2000, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
    >>Den 14-Mar-00 18:32:49 Rik van Riel wrote:
    >>> On 13 Mar 2000, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:

    >>> Not really. Without overcommit you may still have random program
    >>> crashes and lost work...
    >> Yes, really. Maybe I should have said "additional lost work" instead
    >>of just "lost work". Without overcommit, program crashes will only
    >>happen due software bugs or hardware problems.

    > Not true. With no overcommit, you can still crash programs due to OOM
    > situations.

    Sure, not all programs are bug free. But that's a whole lot different
    from having the kernel kill processes just because the kernel fails to
    perform basic bookkeeping.

    >>Lost work will only happen due to user errors, software bugs or hardware

    > Not true.

    See above.

    >>If you overcommit memory, you can lose the file you were editing in
    >>emacs simply because someone sent you an email and the MTA needed a bit
    >>of memory to deliver it to you. Some people, myself included, just don't
    >>find that acceptable at all.

    > Memory overcommit is here to stay. As I recall, Linux already used
    > overcommit and COW when I started using it at version 0.99pl13.

    So what is /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory for, if not to make
    overcommitment of memory an _option_?

    > Get used to it, or find another OS...

    You're such a good Linux advocate...

    | Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | E-mail: |
    | Please do NOT Cc: to me or the | WWW: |
    | mailing list. I am on the list.| "ThrustMe" on XPilot, ARCnet and IRC |
    | Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive? |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.021 / U:14.848 seconds]