SubjectRe: Some questions about linux kernel.
Jesse Pollard <pollard@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil> writes:

> I want controlability, and repeatabiltiy. If the system runs out of memory
> I want a message stating that occurance. Even more, I want resource controls
> that will allow me to be able to eliminate it (most draconian) or permit
> it within certain limits; and to know when it happens.

And for that message to be sent to ALL processes. Even if it is not
the "hog" causing the problem, a process may be able to be a "good
neighbour" and release some memory or take some other action (such as
reducing the number of instances, number of buffers etc, or even
terminating gracefully) when there is a resource shortage. Also that
the process be informed when (if) the resource shortage has ended.

This would be mostly userspace, the kernel would just have control of
the thresholds, monitoring the levels and the responsibility for
sending the signal(s).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:1.218 / U:0.096 seconds]