SubjectRe: 2.3.51 tulip broken
On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Donald Becker wrote:
> I'm in the increasingly untenable position of being expected to maintain
> drivers for the current and older kernels, but not having any influence over
> the new development exactly because of that backwards compatibility.

Then participate in discussions on linux-kernel! That's how open source works.

> There were many interface changes added incrementally in the 2.3 kernels.
> Some with added without consideration of, or even in opposition to,
> cross-version compatibility.

Please name ANY change which cannot be handled with some backwards
compatibility macros or somesuch, when using a 2.3 driver on an older

> When I proposed an new PCI
> detection interface I wrote a skeleton driver, converted several of my
> drivers, demonstrated that it worked with several hardware classes and wrote
> a usage guide.

...and then ignored all discussion and bugs regarding this interface.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.084 / U:0.592 seconds]