SubjectRe: AIC-7890 SCSI problems
On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, G. Hugh Song wrote:

> I tried 5.1.21 and 5.1.28. Now, I use 5.1.28. Enabling the debug-mode
> should not have anything to do with the SCSI timeout error. So,
> this must be a bug of the aic7xxx driver.

While it should not have to do anything with it, it slows execution
(changes the timing), may overcome certain compiler bugs by adding new
commands and may even enable interrupts in odd places to print a message
somewhere.

So, in reality, it often affects the behaviour of the system. Here, it
probably means the source of your problems is a timing issue or race
condition.

Michael.

BTW, I had some major problems with the aic7xxx driver on a aha2940u2w in
2.2.14. It seems the mode sense handling was pretty much screwed and
caused havoc with more elaborate scsi devices (tapes, removables) that
need more than plain SCSI read/write commands.

My problem (fortunately, knock on wood) seems to be cured by the 5.1.28
release. From my problems I'd claim that anyone trying to use a tape or
similar device would get plenty of problems w/o it. A new 2.2 release with
the updated aic7xxx driver is almost unavoidable.

Michael.

--

Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,
or even mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de. If you encounter an eowmob account on