    SubjectRe: Logical problem withj devfs/devfsd
    Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
    > Not under devfs! The symlinks show a (r-x)* mode.

    Richard decided that's how devfs will work (r-x on symlinks). Normally
    symlinks are always rwx, but Richard made the decision "to break
    programs that oughtn't depend on this" as far as I can tell.

    > Therefore the pcm and mixer devices are not accessible for writing.

    Are you sure? As I understand symlinks, the permissions of the symlink
    don't matter.

    > If I compile a kernel with devfs support and no extra devpts support -- as
    > said in the readmes for devfs -- I cannot use gpg via mew via xemacs: The
    > passport dialog is not fetched by xemacs, instead it appears on the terminal
    > from where xemacs was started (or in the depth of the windowmanager, if
    > started via menu). Input of the passphrase is impossible in either
    > case.

    Ah, the old "controlling terminal" problem... Xemacs can't find a pty,
    so it resorts to using a pipe to communicate with gpg. gpg opens
    /dev/tty and you get the original terminal. Ick, ick.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:59.388 seconds]