SubjectRe: NTFS

We are contractually prohibited by our agreements with MS from
performing any NTFS work on Linux. Obviously, this does not prohibit us
from performing any NetWare, NDS, clustering, or any other types of
work, just NTFS work or any work that involves Microsoft technology
(except is the cause of helping MS customers who report problems between
Linux and W2K/NT interoperability on the kernel list or folks who
require help with NT drivers, tools, etc. -- I have provided help for
this in the past and will continue to).

I would like to see the NTFS Linux driver stop corrupting folks data
under W2K and NT, which is in everyone's interests, including MS, but we
cannot provide any specific MS IP of any kind towards the NTFS effort on
Linux. Despite what a lot of folks say to bad mouth Microsoft, they
have treated us extremely well as a partner (just like the Linux folks
have) and been helpful in our development projects.

Steve has my email address, and is always free to dialogue, though I am
not certain how much help I can provide without going over the line.

Jeff

Ville Herva wrote:

> Steve Dodd wrote:
> > > (Fixing NTFS for 2.4.0)
> >
> > I'm afraid I'm not going to volunteer because I don't have enough free
> > time to commit to doing it reliably. However, if people want to remind
> > of all the outstanding NTFS issues they know of, I'll collect them and
> > stick them on the web somewhere .. I may even get around to fixing some
> > of them, but no promises.
>
> Steve, if you manage to begin compiling that bug lists, perhaps you should
> contact Jeff Merkey:
>
> On 2000-03-02 16:20:21, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@timpanogas.com> wrote:
> >
> > (OT)BTW - the NTFS driver (write) in Linux has data corruption on W2K.
> > I have reviewed the code, and the on-disk structures are WRONG in
> > several places, and several of the internal attribute records are making
> > incorrect assumptions about some of the record fields. What's there
> > will cause severe data-corruption if you are switching between the two
> > platforms with a single partition image, particularly with the later W2K
> > NTFS implementation (though NT 4.0 seemed to be OK -- some problems with
> > the journal). The NTFS driver we tested was using the earlier FS
> > implementation (n/2), not the newer W2K formats. The first time W2K
> > mounts an NTFS volume with 4.0 format, it will auto-convert the NTFS
> > volume to the W2K Volume Manager formats under Windows 2000, including
> > any stripe sets, and potentially make incorrect decisions about
> > attribute assignment if a journal is present and the volume has been
> > booted under NT 4.0 after Linux has written to it.
> >
> > Thought you might like to know. We contracturally cannot help fix the
> > NTFS driver in Linux, but we can point out potential problems and
> > explain them to the best of our understanding.
>
> -- v --
>
> v@iki.fi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.029 / U:0.416 seconds]