SubjectRe: new IRQ scalability changes in 2.3.48
From
   Date:   Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:33:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>

and you're now done. Tadaa! You have a pre-emptive UP kernel. Add a few
months of debugging (because something _will_ crop up, or my name isn't
Billy-Bob).

Linus,

I think this is a great idea, as it will catch all sorts of
places where we've been slopping about SMP races, by exposing them in
the UP kernel. However, is now (just before 2.4) the best time to be
doing this? I fear that there may be plenty of places hiding in the
kernel where we aren't adequately proteccting shared data structures.

We might be better off holding off until 2.5 to make such
change. Then as bugs are found in the 2.5 tree (and I have no doubt
that we will have them!), we can backport the fixes to the 2.4 tree.
This way at least we're not potentially compromising the stability of
2.4 UP kernels just before the 2.4 release.....

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.156 / U:0.044 seconds]