    SubjectRe: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

    On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
    >
    > >changes. And I would be much happier if somebody looked through
    > >->truncate() searching for races. Andrea?
    >
    > Thanks. I'll look throught that ASAP.
    >
    > In my very humble and personal opinion the first thing to do now is to
    > find a design solution to avoid the read_inode2 ugliness.

    It's known for, erm, 8 or 10 years. Fast way to do that (real fast, real
    ugly) - copy the code from nfsfh.c into the filesystem and make the
    original call ->fhandle_to_dentry(fh) if such thing exists. Now you've got
    all calls of iget() within your filesystem and can replace them with
    variant that does _only_ lookup/allocation (no ->read_inode(), just mark
    inode locked/new and return it). That way iget() becomes inode =
    ilookup(); if (inode_is_new(inode)) fill_it(inode);

    It's partially right (correct solution will look same in nfsfh.c side - if
    filesystem provides a method we will call it instead of messing with that
    shit in knfsd). However, such blind copy is _absolutely_ last thing I want
    to see - for one thing it brings too intimate knowledge of locking stuff
    into the fs, for another it's damn slow and inefficient. I believe that I
    have better variant (I'm doing it on ext2, but it should be easy to port),
    but I want to get it stable and finally sort the locking issues out
    (->i_zombie is a big win here, but there is a couple of subtle things
    remaining).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.024 / U:29.684 seconds]