    SubjectRe: Overcommitable memory??
    On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, David Whysong wrote:
    > On 13 Mar 2000, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
    > >
    > >Apps would be told that the system is out of memory instead of just
    > >getting a SIGKILL'ed out of the blue sky. Apps getting NULL from
    > >malloc() can react appropriately, such as saving your files to disk,
    >
    > And please explain why my simulation -- that may have started
    > many weeks (or months) ago -- should "just exit" because some
    > random 5-minute old Mathematica process went and allocated half
    > a gigabyte of memory?

    This is exactly the situation from which my OOM killer patch
    will save you. People have tested it and it works great in
    practice. Speed overhead on a running kernel is ZERO and the
    size is increased by about two or three kilobytes...

    Rik
    of people. That is its real strength.

    http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/