SubjectRe: 2.3.51
Hi Khimenko.

>> I tried to compile it with everything enabled (as module if
>> possible) and got the following error:

>> find . -name '*.[oas]' -type f -print | grep -v lxdialog/ | xargs rm -f
>> xargs: environment is too large for exec
>> make: *** [clean] Error 1

>> What's that? I never saw that before ;-)

> Linux can not execute program with command line longer then
> 128KiB. It's what happened.

> It was discussed recently. Looks like noone (apart of me
> and Jamie Lokier <lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk> :-) is
> interested in fixing that.

I have to admit to having seen no discussion about this prior to
this email. However, one obvious fix presents itself to my eyes:
Insert "--max-lines=1000" between "xargs" and "rm" in the
relevant command line(s).

That causes xargs to invoke the command with the first 1,000
files, then separately invoke it for the next 1,000 files, and
repeats the process until it runs out of files.

Assuming that the paths returned by `find` are on average less
than 128 charcters in length, each of those command lines will
then be less than 128k in length, so the problem will vanish.

If the average path length returned is greater than 128, just
reduce the 1000 as required.

> Jamie promised to cook up better patch then mine but so far
> I've not seen anything ...

Best wishes from Riley.

* Copyright (C) 2000, Memory Alpha Systems.
* All rights and wrongs reserved.