    SubjectYamaha Sounddrivers again
    Daniel.Egger@suse.de writes:
    > Hi developers,
    >
    > I just reread the thread on this topic but haven't got the
    > clue yet where the problem exactly is.
    >
    > Having read the "documentation" of the YMF754 and YMF744 chips
    > it seems to me that a soundcard containing this chips wouldn't
    > even need bitfiddling to activate the sb-emulation because it
    > it already activated. Maybe bit 0 in register 0x4C should be
    > set which activates "Distributed DMA" but that is something I can't
    > say because I don't know it.
    >
    > After all soundblaster should be available at 0x220 irq 5 dma 0
    > or am I missing something?
    >
    > If something magic bit (like someone said) is needed to get set,
    > why not activate legacy support on a win98 machine and compare
    > the pci config space with the linux one? And which tool could
    > be used under Win to get this information?

    I tried to activate it on a 2.2.x kernel. In fact, there's even a bit
    of scaffolding left in the source from a previous attempt (by Alan I
    guess). All you get are time outs on the dma channel. A lot of people
    have tried and this seems to be the general result.

    Feel free to try though. If you get it to work, I'd be very
    interested.

    --
    Lieven Marchand <mal@bewoner.dma.be>
    If there are aliens, they play Go. -- Lasker