    SubjectRe: ADFS -> undefined reference to __cmpdi2 (2.3.51)
    Date
    Matti Aarnio writes:
    > As Linus hasn't put it into i386 (nor Alpha), he has
    > some good reason. Ask him for guidance.

    That is probably because libgcc contained some stuff which was unsuitable
    for the kernel on x86.

    > Mainly I think we should NEVER use slow 64/* division routines
    > in fast paths.

    Ah, are you saying that the only thing that libgcc.a is used for is
    supposidly slow division routines? Some architectures need it for much
    much more than that.

    > As an end-result you will get your system free of need for
    > libgcc.a, and possible dangers lurking in it.

    No. libgcc.a is dependent on the compiler. I do know that code generated
    with one ARM gcc compiler does not work with the libgcc.a of a later
    compiler, suggesting that there is a difference in the API between the
    two versions of GCC. Hence, the only real way to get the correct behaviour
    in this case is to use libgcc.a for ARM.
    _____
    | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
    / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.035 / U:0.044 seconds]