SubjectRe: Linux-2.3.51, and the pre-2.4 series..
On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 10:08:21PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Dominik Kubla wrote:
> > kernel: cs: socket 0 timed out during reset
>
> The socket 0 timed out thing should be fixed in 2.3.51.

And it appears to be: i no longer see the message.

> It's due to the TI cardbus controllers not correctly sensing the power of
> the inserted card, so the higher level layers will try to apply 5V power
> and it goes to hell from there. I added code in 2.3.51 to notice when the
> power sense is wrong and force a new VS sense event.

Neat.

> The rest of the problems are probably not related, but I'd like to know
> that 51 does indeed at least fix this one..

The code is trying to share the IRQ for the cardbus controller with the
ATI Rage Mobility AGP chip. But that shouldn't be a problem, right?

One thing i noticed: lspci and /proc/pci will tell you the interrupts
each device has registered, so you can work out which interrupts are
shared. /proc/interrupt OTOH apparantly only shows the last device
to register it. Shouldn't it at least indicate that this is a shared
interrupt? Not that this is overly important, but older docs still tell
people that this "file" lists all the interrupts, when in fact it does
not completely do so.

Now back to the problem: the lockup is only a lockup of the PS/2 controller.
When i remove the PC-Card and reinsert it, the keyboard and touchpad work
again. Unfortunately that does not fix the ethernet problem. What information
can i provide to nail this bug? Since i will do frequent recompiles over the
weekend anyway, i can without problem test patches (and a 400MHz PII doesn't
do too badly in the recompile business anyway)

Dominik Kubla
--
Networking Group, Hospital of Johannes Gutenberg-University
Obere Zahlbacher Straße 69, 55101 Mainz, Germany