    SubjectRe: 2.3: pci_dev.driver
    Martin Mares wrote:
    > Hi Tim,
    > > I notice that struct pci_dev only allows for one driver per device. What
    > > should be done about devices like SIIG's multi-I/O cards that have
    > > parallel port and serial ports on, but only have one device function (with
    > > multiple I/O regions), for example?
    > Argh, yet another company unable to understand PCI specs.
    > My opinion is that we should have a single driver handling both
    > port types.

    I respectfully disagree ;-)

    Consider the case where parport_pc and serial (and perhaps other
    devices) register the same motherboard PCI device... I have already
    hacked parport_pc to do motherboard detection of Via 686A parallel
    ports, and plan to do the same for serial module and the motherboard
    serial ports -- both of which are matched using the same PCI
    vendor/device id.

    Jeff Garzik | My to-do list is a function
    Building 1024 | which approaches infinity.
    MandrakeSoft, Inc. |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:67.704 seconds]