SubjectRe: Linux-2.3.51, and the pre-2.4 series..
> > On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > >
> > > By the way, last time I tried (2.3.48 or 49 I believe), yenta grabbed the
> > > IRQ for my PCI sound card... again.
> >
> > Why is that a problem? PCI irq's are shared.
> >
> > If the sound driver doesn't realize that it has to ask for a shared irq,
> > then the sound driver is broken and always has been. I'm eagerly awaiting
> > a patch ;)
>
> Which sound card if there is a problem. All the PCI sound cards should correctly
> share. Note that the fake ISA IRQ stuff some cards have via PC/PCI and other
> abortions don't share but should be considered as ISA anyway

00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro
Audiodrive (rev 10)
Subsystem: NEC Corporation: Unknown device 8058
I/O ports at ec00

That card. There's a nice bug somewhere that if I play sounds through it
continuously (w/o closing/reopening like mpg123 does) it will start sounding
like I'm playing a record that's popping and crackling. Know anything about
this? Closing dsp and reopening resets this.