    SubjectRe: Argument list too long: out of environment space
    > It's the length of the command line. What you are doing when you expand
    > the wildcards is to put every filename on the command-line. I don't
    > think this is what you want to do. If it is what you want to do, then
    > well,... I don't think anybody can help.

    !! Surely you jest :-)

    Usually I get around problems like this by passing `echo *` into head or
    tail +N etc. xargs isn't an option due to the massive startup times of
    our custom commands.

    This is actually a small example... we often have more files than this
    :-)

    There must be a nasty limit somewhere... I just want to be able to
    increase it. Or even better, to make it dynamically adjust while we've
    got lots of memory.

    cheers
    Stu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:0.740 seconds]