SubjectRe: Argument list too long: out of environment space
> It's the length of the command line. What you are doing when you expand
> the wildcards is to put every filename on the command-line. I don't
> think this is what you want to do. If it is what you want to do, then
> well,... I don't think anybody can help.

!! Surely you jest :-)

Usually I get around problems like this by passing `echo *` into head or
tail +N etc. xargs isn't an option due to the massive startup times of
our custom commands.

This is actually a small example... we often have more files than this
:-)

There must be a nasty limit somewhere... I just want to be able to
increase it. Or even better, to make it dynamically adjust while we've
got lots of memory.

cheers
Stu

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans