SubjectRe: very large directories
Thanks for all the interesting replies to my question.

It appears to me that there is a kernel design problem. If all that
happens when someone creates very large directories is that their
application runs slow, we could argue that that was just a user
programming issue. But it appears to me (based on only nonscientific
observation) that not only does that app slow down. I suspect that we
are spending a large amount of time in non-preemptable kernel. I say
this because when I run on my 400MHz i686 I am usually not bothered by
a second user running some process. In this case the load is very
noticable.

If I am correct that a lot of time is being spent in the kernel (I'm
only guessing at this, so tell me if I'm wrong) then it would appear
to me that this is not just a user space issue - but really a weakness
in the kernel design. If so perhaps higher priority should be given
to correcting it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.102 / U:0.064 seconds]