    SubjectRe: [patch] Re: 2.3.42 buffer problem/leak ?

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > It basically avoids the caching part of the icache and dcache to grow more
    > than 2% of the memory in the machine.

    Heuristics like these are BAD. The heuristicsfor trying to limie buffer
    cache and page cache were one of the reasons that we tended to suck at
    specweb, because it silently just didn't use available memory for caching.

    Don't limit what the memory is used for - let the dynamics of the
    allocators do the best they can. If there are problems with the
    _freeing_ of the memory, that is what should be fixed, not this.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.034 / U:19.844 seconds]