    SubjectRe: Gigabit Linux Server Bottlenecks

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Anton Ivanov wrote:

    > Wrong. All GigE cards I have checked so far have interrupt mitigation.
    > At init you program them to delay IRQ until that many packets are in
    > the queue or a timer expires and the timer value. The only problem is
    > that these are usually not passed as module params. So you have to
    > recompile if you find your current mitigation params bad.

    yep, also with jumbo frames (mtu 9000) there is no problem at all. Eg. the
    SysKonnect cards i use do just over 20k IRQs/sec when i'm saturating
    107MB/sec TCP bandwith - this IRQ load is simply not a problem at all for
    an APIC controller. I've seen IRQ rates of 80k/sec as well.

    > > Since no one seems to want to jump on the 8K jumbo frames bandwagon
    >
    > See above. If you program a sane GigE NIC correctly you actually
    > transfer more than 8K at a time. Donald Becker's hamachi driver is a
    > good example.

    also other cards are using jumbo frames as well (and it actually makes
    sense to increase packet size).

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:1.572 seconds]