    SubjectRe: NFS compatibility problem with pipes
    On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, David Malone wrote:

    > Couldn't it behave as a named pipe would in the local filesystem?
    > I'm sure I've seen this work elsewhere? (Not that that means it's
    > the correct thing to do, but...)

    It would work if 1. you used 2.0.36+ (*not* 2.2) or 2. you had a unfsd
    server (not sure about knfsd though, so this could become "if you have a
    linux server").

    It's as simple as this: NFSv2 doesn't know about named pipes and people
    have hacked their way around this limitation. It just happens that linux
    chose a different hack than everybody else.

    I had at some point a patch for 2.1.something which made linux use
    char<255,255> as the NFSv2 encoding for a named pipe. I'll see if I can
    get it to work with 2.2, but it'll have to wait until tonight when I get
    back home. :)

    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
    than to open it and remove all doubt.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.020 / U:2.396 seconds]