SubjectRe: Booting and Ultra-66
On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Igor S. Livshits wrote:

> Hi, Folks,
>
> I am running the 2.2.14 kernel patched for the Ultra-66 IDE PCI card.
> I learned that I cannot boot from the drive attached via the Ultra-66
> interface, and am using a smaller drive attached via the logic board
> controller as my boot device.
>
> I would like to eliminate the smaller HD. However, I have had no luck
> booting from a floppy I created via "make bzdisk" for the same kernel
> that happily runs of the larger Ultra-66 HD. Also, should I be able
> to use lilo and designate my floppy as the boot device (I tried this
> without any success, but I may have missed a step...)?
>
> I'd appreciate any advice. Also, does the 2.3 kernel handle this better?

I boot here from an Ultra-66 device. I am using 2 20 Gig IBM Drives on
an HPT-366 interface attached to an Abit Mboard. I know the docs for Andrea's
kernel patch say it will not boot but it does boot here just fine. I am
using 2.2.14 with Mingo's raid patches and Jens Axboe's dvd+ide patch.
As I understand it the dvd+ide patch is a combination of Andre Hedrick's
UDMA patch and Jens dvd patch. I have been running it for approx a month
I think. I put it up shortly 2.2.14 and the patches were available. I enabled
RAID 1 on the 2 disks yesterday. It has been up about 22 Hrs. and so far so
good. If you think it might be useful I can send you the kernal configuration.
Let me know.

Hope this helps.

......Tom "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
tdiehl@pil.net for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Unix IS user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:1.004 / U:0.016 seconds]