    SubjectRe: 2.3.41 and TNT2 fbcon
    On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, David Lang wrote:
    > Given the option I would rather have the config there, unless we can have
    > both.....

    The location of the boot logo in the kernel image has nothing to do with
    such being a config option.

    If the boot logo is separate from the ELF kernel image itself, that
    makes it easier for external programs to modify the boot logo without
    having to recompile the kernel.

    I am imagining a patch which would add something to the final stages of
    the link process:

    cat vmlinuz.gz mybootlogo.signature mybootlogo.img > foo
    mv foo vmlinuz.gz

    Obviously this is simplified greatly but you get the idea.

    Jeff

    > On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >
    > > Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 09:34:38 -0600 (CST)
    > > From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.mandrakesoft.com>
    > > To: David Odin <David.Odin@bigfoot.com>
    > > Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
    > > Subject: Re: 2.3.41 and TNT2 fbcon
    > >
    > > On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, David Odin wrote:
    > > > Actually, I can't have a logos with more than 384 lines in height. I still
    > > > don't understand why. But I'm working on a utility (DrakeLogo) which let
    > > > anybody to easily change the boot logo. You still have to recompile the kernel
    > > > though...
    > >
    > > We can do better than that :) We can tack the boot logo onto the end of
    > > the kernel/initrd image or similar.
    > >
    > > Jeff
    > >

    > > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.022 / U:157.272 seconds]