SubjectRe: 2.3.48, NCR53C81a and CD-ROM
   Date:   Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:38:24 +0100 (MET)
From: Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>

The sym53c8xx driver now trusts the data transfer direction of SCSI
commands supplied by upper layers. If this information is wrong, this will
not work. (I will try to let the driver detect properly bad data phase in
some further driver version).

My-be, the application you are using sends an IOCTL_SEND_COMMAND to some
drivers and if a non zero input buffer length is provided direction is
assumed WRITE by scsi_ioctl.c, which is wrong for INQUIRY (just guessing).

You are partially correct Gerard.

The problem is in fact that sc_data_direction is left set at
SCSI_DATA_NONE for a scsi command that actually does transfer
data.

The culprit is sr.c:sr_packet().

So the bug is that the generic cdrom layer needs to pass a data
direction into the CDROM packet driver function, and I've told
Jens Axboe to work on fixing this. I've CC:'d him here as a
reminder.

Any CDROM mount or other access will trigger this.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.559 / U:0.044 seconds]