    SubjectRe: Linux's future: //posix/ipc, //root and so on ?
    > mount anything at all, easy change of root: just umount //root and mount
    > other thing there. And POSIX agrees that //root or //proc CAN be special
    > so all is correct. So just kernel changes are needed. Right ? Not quite:

    Millions of apps rely on // working.

    > it's better to add kernel warning NOW. Perhaps configurable so it can be
    > disabled (not in compile time, but in run-time). This way at least EACH AND
    > EVERY Linux vendor will be aware about problem. What do you think ?

    If Linus made // special in the kernel we'd have to make it unspecial again
    in glibc 8(. It also breaks the flexibility of mounting we have now. Why
    is it //ipc - what does //ipc have to do with ipc in other languages, why
    can't I mount it where I want it ?

    We have a nice unix VFS abstraction. Not using it is just ugly. Things like
    mounting /ipc can be handled in startup space quite easily.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.024 / U:0.492 seconds]