SubjectRe: Linux's future: //posix/ipc, //root and so on ?

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> I've just reread Linus's notes about IPC filesystem and to me idea about
> metafiles "above" usual root looks great: //proc for /proc, //dev for devfs
> and so on. No need to mount in every chroot environment, not need to manual
> mount anything at all, easy change of root: just umount //root and mount
> other thing there. And POSIX agrees that //root or //proc CAN be special
> so all is correct. So just kernel changes are needed. Right ? Not quite:

> What do you think ?

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... We don't need to implement Weirdnix - Dave Cutler
had already done that. The whole Missed'em'V IPC thing is a completely
fucked up API (OK, as the whole Missed'em'V API is) and we'ld better add a
filesystem, and mount it during the boot like every honest UNIX should do
with filesystems. But doing it via magic names? Yuk. _Please_, don't do
that. Besides, that's where the hell gates are waiting - wanna bet how
long will it take for some VMS-lover to "extend" your //root to
//FOO$BAR$BAZ: "functionality"?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.211 / U:0.324 seconds]