    SubjectRe: What /proc should contain [was: /proc/driver/microcode]
    On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Patrick Spinler wrote:
    > Preface this with the obligatory "I am not a kernel hacker. If this
    > message is stupid, just ignore me."

    No, it's worth discussing.

    > Regarding parsing /proc files, has anyone thought of a file format which
    > contains a parsing specification ? For example a scanf format string.
    > Eg:
    > $ cat /proc/somefile
    > %d %d %f %s
    > 12 45 8.4 Some String

    If the data are to be self-describing then we also need to know what each
    one is. So:

    $ cat /proc/somefile
    rate limit average eventname
    %d %d %f %s
    12 45 8.4 Some String

    But now look at that first line. Those tags must be fixed text or we get
    all the same old respelling problems. So why didn't we just have

    $ cat /proc/something/rate
    $ cat /proc/something/limit
    $ cat /proc/something/average
    $ cat /proc/something/eventname
    Some String

    I had to know that rate, limit, and average are numbers, and average is a
    float, and eventname is a string, in order to use them, so now the formats
    are irrelevant.

    Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mwood@IUPUI.Edu
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom!"
    -- Marvin Martian, 01/01/2000 00:00:00

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.040 / U:1.464 seconds]