SubjectRe: Compiling kernel on different machine
On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Matthew A Reklau wrote:

>I am trying to use a faster machine to compile a kernel for my laptop that
>does not have the space to compile its own kernel. I tried this and it didn't
>work. When it came time to boot the kernel it hung on the laptop.
>
>My question is what files other than the bzImage file need to copied over. I
>tried to grab the modules and put them in /lib/module/2.2.14. What effect do
>the files in /boot make. Do I need these as well? If so which ones and where
>do I place them?

The only mandatory needed files are the kernel image, and the
modules. The kernel should still boot without modules
though. In addition you should copy the System.map file to the
/boot dir too.

That is it. If it doesn't boot, then perhaps something is not
right about your choice of config options.

In particular, you must always remember to compile "ext2", "ide
disk support", and "ELF binary" support into the kernel - NOT AS
MODULES. If you're using SCSI instead of IDE, then you need SCSI
disk support in the kernel instead of IDE.

Make sure your compiled kernel has all necessary items compiled
in in order to boot.

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate

Suspicious Anagram #4:
Word: PRESIDENT CLINTON OF THE USA
Anagram: TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.127 / U:0.276 seconds]