    SubjectRe: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??
    On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Jonathan Walther wrote:

    > According to the old law of the land, and then enshrined in common law,
    > if an apple tree has a branch overhanging the road, passerby commit no
    > crime by plucking an apple from it to assuage their hunger.
    > In fact, passerby are welcome to satisfy their hunger from bushes off
    > the side of the road, as long as they only satisfied their hunger and
    > didn't carry anything off with them. This didn't confer on them the
    > right to set up camp, but seems comparable to me of the use many people
    > make of network scans.
    > Its only neighborly to share some resources. I practice what I preach.

    Micro$Thief machines, on a network of say 10.100.x.x -> 10.400.x.x, ARP
    all of the addresses every 10 seconds. When you have a 1000 of these
    machines, you end up with continuous and the network becomes

    Also, machine performance suffers:

    Here is a build of some software with the network connected.

    Script started on Mon Feb 28 17:48:38 2000
    # make clean
    # time make
    23.39user 2.33system 0:27.61elapsed 93%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k
    # make clean

    Here is the same build with the network wire disconnected. This is a
    SMP machine (hense the 104%CPU).

    # time make
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/platinum/update'
    23.86user 1.90system 0:24.76elapsed 104%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k
    # exit

    Script done on Mon Feb 28 17:50:36 2000

    So it's 27 seconds of wall-clock time if I connect the network, 24
    seconds if I don't. This is after-hours! In the middle of the day,
    I've seen the ratio of 2:1!

    Micro$Thief isn't just grabbing an apple now an then. They are destroying
    the nature of the Personal Computer. They have changed a Personal Computer
    into a "Personal Communications Device". They perform this communications
    by disrupting the network neighborhood, much like having a neighbor
    that communicates by using bomb-bursts. And, they do all this by
    stealing my CPU time to dump their corrupt packets on the floor.

    In the meantime, their fraudulent advertising and other business practices
    make it quite difficult to use a Personal Computer for Computing in the
    work-place. We have a new generation of know-nothing, do-nothing, so-called
    engineers, bred into the M$Thief world, who convince management that they
    can't do their work until all the Unix/Linux machines are purged from the

    Because of the defective performance produced by M$Thief machines,
    the lack of productivity is being blamed upon Network hackers. This
    has caused the environment of, say 1000 users, to be something like:

    o 10 Security Administrators.
    o 10 System Adminstrators.
    o 940 Micro$Thief users downloading porno
    o 30 Engineers getting technical info from Web Pages
    o 10 Engineers trying to write code.

    It should be obvious that the same amount of work could be done as:

    o 10 Engineers trying to write code.
    o 30 Engineers getting technical info from Web Pages

    These don't need Micro$Thief. They also don't need:

    o 10 Security Administrators.
    o 10 System Adminstrators.

    Dick Johnson

    Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.025 / U:19.260 seconds]